The garage is usually the last place people consider cleaning however, it is an extension of your home, so if should garner the same attention in terms of organization. So before you get started, take some time to map out on paper, how you want the space to function. Draw where the cars will go and from there, create zones. You can incorporate vertical hanging and ceiling hanging in your drawing. By taking the time now to do this, it will make it easier to purge items and know that likely everything cannot go back in there! Here are the how tos for spring cleaning your garage.
Getting Started – You will need:
- Several durable plastic containers with lids, preferable clear so you can see what’s in them
- Packing tape, markers and/or label-maker
- Heavy duty garbage bags
- Recycle bins
- Loose comfortable clothing to wear
- Closed toes shoes or boots
- Dust mask
Empty Garage Completely
- Create four piles as you clear
- Sweep floor
- Wash down the floor and walls
- Brush away cobwebs in the corners
- Clean any garage windows
- Get rid of unnecessary duplicates
- Put Seasonal items together
- Seasonal tires – store on a strong sturdy shelf, at the back
- Seasonal décor – labelled and placed on top shelf, at the back
- Rakes, Bikes & shovels can all be stored hanging on the wall, with large hooks
- Pail, bucket and all car care products on the shelf unit or near hose
- Sort all tools, manual and electrical
- Purge – Be ruthless, otherwise you hang on to things you don’t need or haven’t used in a year
- Store items based on their type and use – location is important
- Use the back corner to store snow blower & lawnmower
- Put all gardening tools, pots, dirt and gloves on shelf
- Hang Bikes from the ceiling, if possible (seasonal)
- Put all tools in a tool box or hung on a peg board, back wall – get rid of duplicates
- Put all small screws, nails etc., in clearly labelled containers
Keep it Neat & Tidy
- Remember, it’s not a dumping ground
- Keep the floor areas clear
- Spray for pests/insects from time to time
- Sweep and hose monthly
- Place a door mat to dust off shoes before entering the house
This is a big job, so pat yourself on the back for taking the time to do this and remember to ask yourself the following questions during the process:
- Do I love it?
- Have I used this item in the last year?
- Do I really need it? – If not – get rid of it!!!!
Hope some of these suggestions help you or motivate you to get the garage in order this spring! Need help? We’re only a phone call away.
As always, I welcome your feedback. You can connect with me via email or telephone, leave a comment here on the site or click the contact tab at the bottom of the screen if you are reading this post on the website.
Until next time,