The festive season is soon upon us; which for most of us, means entertaining family and friends. So let’s make your space welcoming and festive! Here are 3 essential tips to organizing your living room ahead of time, so you will be able to relax and enjoy your friends and family when they arrive. You will want to start with a clean room. This way, each week leading up visitors, you only have to do a light dusting and quick vacuum. The simpler you keep it, the easier it is to manage and makes your life a whole lot easier too!
- Good furniture arrangement encourages socializing, so consider removing any excess pieces that are not going to serve a purpose, during the holidays.
- Ensure single chair seating has easy access to a side table or coffee table.
- Consider using small stools or ottomans that take little space and can moved easily to conversation areas.
- Where possible, arrange furniture to make guests feel comfortable and relaxed but not on top of one another.
- Dim the room lighting. Consider purchasing inexpensive dimmers if you don’t have any.
- Place votive candles* (protected) all around the room and placed high enough, so little hands can’t get at them.
- Have some large pillar candles* (with clear plates under them) around the space, to enhance the ambiance.
- Ensure the Christmas tree has lots and lots of LED lights on it. This will act as your focal point in the room, so lots of lights…..
* Remember never leave burning candles unattended…
3. Holiday Décor
Since your living-room will be the focal point, it’s important to get the décor right
- Create a simple colour theme to work with.
- Spread the décor around the living-room, without over doing it.
- Ensure the Christmas tree is not over-powered by a tonne of decorations in the rest of the room.
- If you have a fireplace, try placing garland across it and add some lights.
- If you have a large window, consider hanging Christmas bulbs using some colour themed ribbon.
Setting the tone of the living-room is what makes your guests feel welcome, relaxed and able to enjoy themselves. But, if organizing or setting up for the holidays are overwhelming, or you simply don’t have time, consider hiring a personal concierge to help!
You can connect with us via phone or email, leave a question or comment right here on the site, or click the contact tab at the bottom of the screen if you are reading this on the website.
Until next time,