People make New Year’s resolutions with the best of intentions. Unfortunately, many of them go by the wayside early into the year. Here are 10 New Year’s resolutions that are realistic and easy to implement throughout the whole year! The best part is that you will feel good knowing you are successful in making these simple but positive changes in your life!
1. Clear the Clutter
- Put things away (Mail, laundry, keys, phone, etc.) on a consistent basis
- Get rid of things you no longer need or serve a purpose.
- Remember the ‘one in, one out rule’ – even with Christmas gifts
- Plan for a garage sale in the spring
- Reduce your credit cards down to one
- Lower your daily/monthly credit limit – so you don’t over spend
- THINK before you purchase – “Do I really need this?” Don’t buy stuff you don’t need
3. Eat Better
- Eat healthier everyday
- Eat smaller portions
- Make your own lunch
- Drink more water
- Shut your phone off when you get home – I know you can do it!
- Turn off your email off as soon as you leave the office
- Put your iPad/tablet away after dinner
- Watch less TV
- Read a good book, short stories or check out your community theatre or art gallery
- Subscribe to a weekly magazine
6. Get More Sleep
- Start going to bed a little earlier each night. You feel better when you’re rested
- Catch up on sleep where you can – naps are good for you
- Getting sleep lowers your stress levels
7. Fresh-air and Exercise
- Get off the couch – go for a 20 minute walk (we all have 20 minutes)
- Go for a skate or swim (depending on where you live)
- Get off the bus or subway two stops ahead and walk the rest of the way to work or home
- Take the dog for a 20 minute walk, instead of a 5 minute walk. It’s better for your dog too!
- Volunteer in your community
- Support your local small businesses
- Donate your old furniture/clothes to Goodwill or other charitable organization
- Make time to spend with good friends
- Call your mom/dad/grandparents
- Do something nice for your family or a friend
- Write a handwritten note (if it’s expensive to call)
10. Be Positive
- Believe in yourself!
- Positive thinking only please
- Pat yourself on the back
- Be grateful
I hope you’ll agree that these are all attainable! And hopefully you will find that you aren’t feeling stressed because you set unrealistic New Year’s goals. Small, simple steps and you will find you are a whole new happy, positive person!
And, if lack of time continues to be a factor, consider getting some help! I welcome your feedback! You can connect with me via email or telephone, you can leave a comment right here on the site, or click the contact tab at the bottom of the screen if you are reading this post on the website.
Happy New Year and all the very best to you, your health and your happiness!