With Canada Day July 1 and Memorial Day July 4 quickly approaching, there is nothing quite like creating a casual, relaxing outdoor setting to bring family and good friends together on these occasions or over the summer. I thought I would give you 5 tips to take the stress out of your summer entertaining to make it both fun and easy:
1. Hit the farmers market for fresh fruits, vegetables & main dish. Don’t forget to pick up some fresh cut seasonal flowers for decorating indoors and outdoors.
Hint: If you don’t have very many vases, the trend is to be creative; use colourful tins, decanters or mason jars.
2. Set up a self serve bar area for cups, ice, garnishes, corkscrew and an opener. This way people can help themselves.
Hint: Create a signature drink for the occasion; Blackberry Smash, Kiwi Kiss or this Watermelon Cooler courtesy of Style at Home.
4 cups of 2 inch cubes of watermelon
1 cup vodka, chilled
2 tablespoons honey
Directions – freeze watermelon cubes, remove from freezer, 1 hour before serving.
Place in blender, pour in vodka and honey, process until blended and pour into
frosted cocktail glasses!
3. Use colourful napkins and table cloths. The brighter, the better. Add pretty bowls and platters to keep it fun.
Hint: Dig in your cupboards. You will be amazed at what you have stored away. Summer only comes once a year so get out those fancy platters.
4. Create a summer “fun” music CD or two & have them playing softly in the background. This way you don’t have to constantly be changing the music.
5. Set-up a buffet table outside with all that you will need. When it’s time to eat, you just put out the food and put your feet up!!
Lastly, don’t forget a camera. Pass the camera around and get your friends/family to take some pictures too so you get some fun, memorable shots.
The trick to summer entertaining is to make it easy & relaxing for you and your guests! Use what you have. Let your guests help themselves. This way, you can enjoy yourself and your guests, instead of running around looking after everyone. You will find your guests love this too. They can serve themselves and not feel guilty about being waited on. Of course there is the planning phase but if you need help, please feel free to contact me for assistance or some ideas.
How about your? What are your favourite, fun ways to entertain in the summer. Share your ideas with me and my readers. And don’t forget to leave a link back to your own blog too if you have one via the commentluv feature here on the site.
Until next time,