Before you even start the process of hiring any professional, take some time to think about your goals and objectives for the project (big or small), and write them down.
It can be confusing and even get overwhelming to know who to hire – however, if you keep the 5 tips below in mind, it will make the process a whole lot easier.
1. Get Estimates
- Get at least 3 or 4 quotes/estimates
- Is it professionally presented
- How long did it take to receive it
- They should all roughly fall within the same price range
- Toss out the low ball offer
2. Interview Candidates
- Meet them face-to-face
- Are they professional in appearance and presentation?
- Have a series of significant questions prepared
- Pay attention to their behavior
- If your gut is telling you something? Call them on it, or walk away!
3. Check Credentials
- Check references
- Call past customers
- Depending on the nature of the project – ask to see the work done
- Do they have a business license – check here.
- Are they insured? Ask to see it and review what the coverage is
- Even if a friend/relative referred them, still check credentials
- No matter what you’re having done (big or small) get it in writing
- Don’t just sign it – READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!
- Ask questions
- Understand what you’re signing
- Payment Schedule – dates & amounts
- Make sure everything you’re having done, is on there
5. Know what you are paying for
- Get a price breakdown
- If there are line items, know what they are
- Out of pocket? – have a maximum
- Percentage up front? Never more than 25%
- Don’t pay for things that you were unaware of
- Pay by cheque
Some Red Flags
- References that can’t be verified
- Special rate – sign today!
- They want a large deposit
- They want cash only
- No Contract
To find the right Professional, you must do your due diligence and read your contract before signing. They are worth every minute of your valuable time! A good professional should volunteer their information or have a package for you to review.
As a business owner, our company always ensures our clients receive:
- A copy of our business license
- insurance document, and,
- Reference checks.
Good Luck! I would love the opportunity to connect with you. You can reach me by phone or email, leave a comment right here on the site or click the contact tab at the bottom of the screen if you are reading this post on the website.
Until next time,