In today’s society there seems to be a complete breakdown of proper manners and mobile etiquette. Showing good manners lets people know they are valued, significant, and demonstrates and elicits respect. They also help us be comfortable in social situations. By neglecting good manners and etiquette you may come across as arrogant and potentially insult others. Manners are something which should to be learned in childhood. As parents, we are role models for children, so we need to do our part to keep the world from becoming a very rude place. And as technology continues to grow and impact us at an exponential rate including our children, it’s important that manners and etiquette be taught – now more than ever.
Listed below are some modern day manners (not forgetting the basics you learned as a child) that never go out of style as well as mobile etiquette:
- Basics – Please, thank you, chew with your mouth closed, elbows off the table, don’t stare, dress appropriately, respect your elders…..just to list a few as a refresher
- Be kind and courteous
- Speak properly, use proper grammar, diction etc.
- Don’t gossip, embarrass anyone and don’t assume anything about anyone. No bullying
- Keep your phone off the table while eating
- Don’t talk on your phone in checkout lines
- Turn phone off at religious services
- When having a conversation with someone, don’t be looking at your phone or texting
- If using a headset, don’t have the music blaring out of the earbuds
These days everyone has some form of mobile device. Know when it is appropriate or suitable to use as a form of communication.
Etiquette is an important social construct that we tend to forget, however, I would argue that etiquette has never been more important than now. Just remember the basic principal underlying all manners; Think about other people’s feelings first. It’s not always about you.
Hope you found these helpful or a refresher! What do you consider bad manners or bad etiquette? I’d love your feedback. You can reach me by phone or email, leave a comment here on the site or click the contact button at the bottom of the screen if you are reading this post on the website. Don’t forget to join in the conversation on Facebook or Twitter too!
Until next time,
* Manners – the prevailing customs and social conduct of a specific society, period, or group
**Etiquette – the rules governing the correct or acceptable behavior of a society