In today’s society there seems to be a complete breakdown of proper manners and mobile etiquette. Showing good manners lets people know they are valued, significant, and demonstrates and elicits respect. They also help us be comfortable in social situations. By neglecting good manners and etiquette you may come across as arrogant and potentially insult others. Manners are something which should to be learned in childhood. As parents, we are role models for children, so we need to do our part to keep the world from becoming a very rude place. And as technology continues to grow and impact us at an exponential rate including our children, it’s important that manners and etiquette be taught – now more than ever. Continue reading
How often do you find yourself running out of time? Not enough hours in the day to get everything done? Too much to do? Here are 5 easy tips to help you improve your time management. Continue reading
Personal handwritten notes are appearing to become rarer and rarer. As the world becomes more and more digitized with emails and tweets, this form of communication is easier and more accessible than hand written notes. However, I believe there is an absolute place for handwritten notes in our fast paced wired society. Here are 5 reasons handwritten notes remain unique and important.
- Physical handwritten notes have a more memorable impact – they mean more than an email/text
- Speaks volumes by sending the message that you cared enough to go the extra mile to acknowledge another and you will be remembered and appreciated for your effort
- Personalized handwritten notes have a warmth, poise and personality that your electronic message doesn’t
- For business, handwritten notes can be a good follow up tool and if done properly, a relationship builder
- It’s a great way to differentiate you from the competition and shows you as different and detailed-oriented
On a personal note, this is a pet peeve of mine. I think it is critical, especially in business, to hand write notes to thank people, congratulate them or just acknowledge them. I can’t tell you how much people appreciate it and it leaves a lasting impression. People always tell me how much they appreciated receiving my note. Here are some ideas on when it’s appropriate to send a handwritten note:
- Upon receiving a gift – no matter what the gift
- Following an interview for a job
- When someone does something for you that is helpful either personally or professionally
- Whenever you establish a new professional contact – this does not mean to everyone who hands you a business card – send a handwritten note when it’s meaningful
- When someone has referred business or a client to you
- When someone you know receives a promotion or starts a new career path
- Congratulate someone on an award or being published in a magazine or newspaper
I’m not suggesting you sit and write notes all day. Use your own judgement as to when it would be more appropriate to hand write your message rather than an email/text. Sending a handwritten note is all about making a human connection and putting your personal touch on your relationship. There is also an extra level of sincerity involved when you send a handwritten note, especially to a client. This is something an email simply cannot convey. Yes, handwritten notes may cost some time and a few pennies, but they are well worth it to show someone you care.
You might find it helpful to keep a box of generic notes and a supply of stamps handy – now you have no excuses.
I welcome your feedback. Don’t forget to leave a link back to your own blog too if you have one, via the commentluv feature here on the site. You can connect with me by email or telephone or by personal note 😉 or by clicking the contact tab at the bottom of the screen if you are reading this blog post on the website.
Until next time,
Having the discussion and/or making the decision with your aging parent or loved one, that moving to a retirement or assisted living facility is the best option for them, is a huge step. It is really important to understand the changes required to help them feel comfortable through this whole transition. Below are 5 tips to help ease this transitioning.
Once you have decided that this is the best option, it is really important to understand the changes required to help them feel comfortable and supported.
Things to consider:
- Most times this will determine what type of facility is appropriate and affordable for them.
- Take them to visit it as much as you can before the actual transition.
As a business owner, one of the key elements of success is building client trust, regardless of whether you are selling a product or a service. But like most things, this takes time and hard work. As a service business owner myself, I thought I would share some tips on building client trust that I hope will help you.
1. Provide Quality Service
- Providing consistent, quality service demonstrates your value. This allows clients to feel comfortable about the money they are spending and will keep them coming back for more.
- Strive to do whatever it takes (ethically) to get the job done. Follow through is very important.
It seems we are all living in this fast-paced world and proper etiquette is falling by the wayside. However, when it comes to Christmas cards, which you only do once a year, my suggestion is if you are going to do them, you should do them properly. Here are 6 tips to keep in mind when doing Christmas cards.
1. Hand written
- Use handwriting on the inside, with your signature and on the outside envelope. This gives your cards a personal touch and shows you care. (The only exception to this rule is if you order cards and had them personalized)
- Hand-write a short note about their family’s well-being and a brief update on yours. Continue reading
Did you know that more than half of our first impressions are based on appearance? As a business owner, it is important to be aware of this. This includes dressing and behaving appropriately, how you answer your phone and email and your manners. These are all a reflection of you and your business. Here are 5 tips to help you get that great first impression.
1. Dress for Success: How you dress is a reflection of who you are. What you wear should be clean, neat, wrinkle free and age appropriate. Of course your style of clothing depends on what service you are providing. Be clean, fresh, use deodorant, have good posture and good breath. Your perfume or cologne should be subtle – not over-powering. An example of appropriate dress? Continue reading